Wednesday, March 16, 2011

RIP: Gary (Sept. 8, 1961 -- March 16, 2011)

Horrible news came today. Gary, my brother-in-law, succumbed to a long and awful illness. This is a deep personal loss. He was not just my younger sister's husband for the past two-and-a-half decades, he was a close friend, a confidant, a drinking buddy, softball teammate, fellow Mets fan and someone I could absolutely count on. The kind of guy guys like to hang with. Gary looked you right in the eye when he spoke to you. He had a firm handshake and a quiet confidence. He was no body's fool. You wanted him on your team. That's something anyone who's ever been on a team with him would say.
Gary was a true blue, no bullshit, blue collar guy. He drove a pick-up and wore a tool-belt because he had technical skills and expertise. People called on him to fix things or install something or do what they didn't know how to do. Gary wasn't afraid to get his hands dirty, but make no mistake about it, he had class, decency, street smarts, a level head and a big heart.
He was also the best beer league softball short stop I ever saw. He could backhand the ball deep in the hole and throw you out with a laser to first while still on his knees. I know this because I saw it many times. He adored his wife, my sister Anne, and was devoted to his children, Hillary and Leonard, and his grandson Cameron. Gary will be greatly missed, and I will cherish his friendship all my remaining days. He was 49.
.
.

Blog Archive

al in la

My photo
Los Angeles, California, United States
BORN: Brooklyn RAISED: Staten Island WHERE AT NOW: Los Angeles, California WHY: We will one day know.