Thursday, September 17, 2009

Mary Travers, 1938-2009


When I was a kid I had a serious crush on Mary Travers, of Peter Paul and Mary. It wasn't just that she was a sultry blonde folk singer in a long flowing dress (although that certainly entered into it), she was a songstress with the voice of an angel. I saw in her compassion, honesty and integrity. I remember she briefly hosted a syndicated radio call-in show and one of her first guests was Bob Dylan (I've been a huge Dylan fan for decades and I know of no other time he fielded questions from fans.) I called and called hoping to get through but it was useless. To this day I'm impressed that she could get Dylan to do this. I must say: Mary left an indelible mark on me.
.
Mary Travers helped shape my musical tastes and political sensibles. She helped me appreciate folk music and progressive politics. It was she who familiarized me with the early work of in Bob Dylan. It was because of Mary that I became familiar with Joan Baez and ultimately Dar Williams and a number of other gifted woman folk signers.
.
Goodbye Mary. The world is a better place because you were here.
.
.
.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Thanks for the post. At 43, I've known PPM's music my whole life, and now find myself singing Puff the Magic Dragon to my young daughter. Their version of Leaving on a Jet Plane has always, even when I was kid, touched me deeply.

You can never have too many people who simply add beauty to the world.

Blog Archive

al in la

My photo
Los Angeles, California, United States
BORN: Brooklyn RAISED: Staten Island WHERE AT NOW: Los Angeles, California WHY: We will one day know.